25.12.11

me and my drum



'Hello. I'm Bing.'

The first part is so cheesy, but I love this song:



Just heard the lovely original version, on the radio, driving to the beach on Christmas day, in Florida. I didn't swim in the ocean, because of the Portuguese Man o' War jellyfish, but it was a lovely drive, playing Christmas carols full blast on the radio with the windows open and the ocean breeze on A1A, singing (poorly, alas) at the top of my lungs.

I'm moved how my Jewish friends are sending Merry Christmas wishes on facebook: it reminds me all that it's not about what faith we are, as long as we have some. Faith, I mean.



And hope. Because after all, what today is about - FOR ME - is celebrating the birth of a man, many years ago, who was born - not even, it has been established, in December. His birthday was moved to this date, the darkest, coldest day of the year, so everyone would pull together, light a fire and the candles and dig out the food they had been squirrelling away to get them through the winter. To have faith that we'd make it through the dark days, and weather the storm. And survive to see the spring, and reap the harvest.

So today we celebrate the birth of one man. Who, by the way, never said he was the ONLY son of God - he said we were all God's children, but somehow that got lost in translation. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, today is as good a day as any to stop worrying about the future, or regretting the past, but instead, to appreciate the ones we love, who are with us either literally, or in spirit. Today is a good day to simply celebrate life.

My little gift for you - which cost me nothing, except the small gift of my time - is three versions of this beautiful song.




Merry Christmas, everyone. Hope you're all having fun, beating your drums.

6 comments:

adrielleroyale said...

That is the happiest drummer I have ever seen! :) Merry, Merry Christmas my friend, may you be blessed beyond measure! :)

adrielleroyale said...

Oh, I almost forgot! Great photo shop/art, you make a beautiful star!

daisychain said...

I hope you and Mr Dot had the most wonderful Christmas x

mtg said...

I love David Bowie. The third version is sooo cute.
Merry Christmas, Jill!
xx
maya

Veshoevius said...

Merry Christmas Jill!

The Foolish Aesthete said...

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! I wish I'd seen this last week since I love this old carol. Bowie and Bing -- now that's an interesting juxtaposition! My mom loved Bing forever, and she and my dad (until she passed away) had this standing argument as to which one was a better crooner, Bing or Sinatra! Anyway, thanks for sharing all these drummer interpretations. And what a delightful Christmas tree topper you are!

Have a Happy New Year!

xxx Jenny