16.5.11

snippet of shiny thought #16: holly's twin shoes



The same day as the previous post, I had been walking from Piccadilly Station thinking that the shop windows were all about colour blocking, but the light on the street - dull, grey - matched the clothes palette which was totally neutral, black, dull, grey. Then at a distance I saw two happy girls bounding towards me emitting colourfulness and I thought 'yes: a street shot!'

Just as I was about to approach them to ask if they'd like to be photographed for my blah blah blah, who should say hello but my blog friend Lucy, of Snippets of Shiny Thoughts! I just read a great post she did on a uni project: she designed a perfume bottle and concept/logo/etc for Richard Nicholl, called SMOKE. I REALLY think it should be made, exactly as she conceived it. I'd buy it.





I'm starting to feel that my life in the city of London is one of those television soaps where there are about six characters in total and they just 'happen' to run into each other. I mean, the coincidences sometimes.. anyway my snippet of thought for this post was, meeting Holly, who has the colouring and haircut that I'd love to have in my next life, and who is really sweet, and I happened to admire her velvet ballet pumps and she said she got them at Urban Outfitters. But here's the clever snippet: she knew at the time she'd want them to last forever, so she bought two pair. It's such a good idea. I read somewhere that's what Jackie Kennedy did: if she liked a certain tee, or jumper, for example, she'd buy it in several colours. I wish I did it with a pair of black suede ballet flats with pompoms I got at Topshop years ago. And come to think of it: my neon pink plastic jelly sandals that I got at Urban Outfitters: if only I got two of those pair. When they eventually broke, I found a similar pair at New Look, but they're not exactly the same pink. They're a bit too peachy pink for me.





Actually.. this is weird. When I found the posts about it ('my reincarnated hot pink plastic celebrity sandals', 3 June 2009) and prior, 'my hot pink plastic celebrity feet'), the first comment was from a blog friend in Texas, Amy, who no longer blogs, who said 'go get another pair!' A sign: should have listened to that shiny snippet in my head. Because they no longer sell them: the closest I could get to hot pink New Look sandals were these.

What does this have to do with beets by the way? Not much. Except that was the next shot after the shoe shot - a luscious beet root and goat's cheese salad at the Arcadia Press Day (previous post) and I just like the way they look in relation to one another.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

14 comments:

San said...

I did this buy 2 if you like them, but now I've decided, I won't do this anymore. For one simple reason, I need the space and there are new lovely things always. So if something breaks that I loved, it's time to move on and find some new fantastic thing.

Nice sandals by the way, have a fantastic new week.

jill said...

San, I love your attitude! Thanks, you too. Now to go visit your blog & say the same thing.

style odyssey said...

San has a good point. another thought...i've bought 2 of this, 2 of that- but then ended up getting rid of one of the 2 at some point. why? various reasons but the point is it's often a waste of money and space. not always, though. Jill, your next perfect pair of sandals will find you, whatever style and color they may be. :)

styleeast said...

aaaah it's my favourite Lucy, looking lovely and colourful as ever. I nearly bought these pumps (in camel), wish I had now! xx

Fashion Limbo said...

ah yes, I do feel I should have done the whole "buy another one" with certain things such as jeans: I do believe that should be a style rule, because it is sooo hard to find a perfect pair of jeans than when that bizarre event actually occurs it shoud be celebrated, with a double purchase :)

Although I do like San's philosophy in the first comment ;)

slowdownapproaching30 said...

I'd love always buy extras of the things I love - but it always seems so excessive at the time! I love pink sandals, especially when your feet are tanned!

Lucy said...

ahh thanks Jill! Such a lovely post - I will let Holly know - she'll be pleased! Thanks for shooting me and linking - you're so kind! :) Have a lovely day xxxx

Anonymous said...

Well this is just part one: tomorrow is snippet #17: shirt as skirt ; )

Thanks all! It's Jill btw: just not signed in. xx

CoryB said...

why not try these? in red, purple, or lime :) saw them the other day, they're pretty cool!
http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Carvela+Kink+Sandals/150819361,default,pd.html?cgid=3063

cecylia.com said...

wow those suede loafers with the gold animals are amazing!!! Gorgeous stuff!

come see my blog hun :)

Tatiana said...

I bought the exact same sandals in a local trift store in Slovakia for 1 euro! sorry for bragging :)

Susan said...

I have never thought I would love plastic shoes, but now I have VV x Melissa which I truly love :)
xo

man and van London said...

Thanks for sharing these & very well explain post. Some thing new to learn from this helpful post.

removals London said...

This has been a very significant blog indeed. I’ve acquired a lot of helpful information from your article. Thank you for sharing such relevant topic with us. I really love all the great stuff you provide. Thanks again and keep it coming