11.5.11

icon











My third and last (for now) in a series on one of my style icons, my friend Natayla. She's so petite, and her style reminds me of a kind of 21st century Audrey Hepburn. She's got that elfin pixie quality, and a real zest for life. And more importantly: she really doesn't give a toss about being famous, or promoting anything.

It's been an interesting exercise, going thru my shots of her in the past.. I guess it's about 18 months that I've known her. It's funny: with some friends you just feel you've known them all your life. I'm sure there are lots of shots I've taken that I haven't come across yet- and of course I don't shoot her every time we hang out - but it's interesting, for ME at least! - to see how she's drawn to certain themes. I didn't realise how much she wore leopard print, for example, cause she hasn't worn it lately. And then I found the first shot I took of her, above. You can see she's holding a card: it's mine.

I totally forgot that I met her thru street shooting her! Another perk of the job.

Who are your style icons?

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Love how you've collected loads of photos of her, her style is gorgeous! I absolutely adore the third picture down, beautiful!
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

cecylia.com said...

wow! I love the layered necklaces look...and the leopard print! :)

Come see my blog hun!!

jessica said...

her and her style- amazeballs.

Pilar said...

Really lovely girl. She can really pull off the padded shoulders, I know I can't!
My style icons? That’s hard; I suppose one has to include Audrey! Though I love Anna Karina, Clara Bow, Dovima, ect. I tend to get my inspiration from old photographs, I guess its similar to street style shots, just ones taken 80 years ago!
Been reading your blog for a while now, and adore it.

adrielleroyale said...

Love these shots! She has that easy beauty thing going on. My style icon would be my friend Monette. She helps me find things I never would have thought looked good on me. :) I never really cared much at all about fashion before her - I liked it, just didn't wear much else than jeans and a tank top. I still love my tank tops, but now have learned to shake it up a bit.

Ashman Mahfudz said...

love your blog! give it a visit to mind from Malaysia, www.berrywalk.blogspot.com ! followed yours.

Lindsay K said...

I love these shots. There's an intimacy because of your friendship that shines through. May I ask a question. Where are her sunglasses in the first image from? They're amazing!

Unknown said...

I can see why Natayla is your style icon. She has such a concise London kinda look - lovely. Wish I could pull of a fringe as well as her!
x

Osterreich said...

Thank you so much for this! I haven’t been this thrilled by a blog for a LONG time! You’ve got it, whatever that means in blogging. Ha-ha. You’re definitely someone that has something to say that people need to hear. Keep up the great work. Keep on inspiring the people!

The Foolish Aesthete said...

Beautiful leopard accents! I saw your comment on another blog re-Hieronymous Bosch-esque composition. Love it (love Bosch too).

http://thefoolishaesthete.blogspot.com

Fashion Limbo said...

I'm working hard to become my own style icon ;) t'hehehhehe

styleeast said...

oh my, I now have major hair envy!! x

Anonymous said...

Natayla looks so rad she made the cut on FASHIONOTES.com
Check out Fashion Fridays: Best Street Style Shots of the Week http://bit.ly/l9cJC9

Jim said...

Washed denim is only coming just showing up on boys again but trashed jeans for girls never get old.

http://stylelikeu.com/closets/scout-willis/

Susan said...

I love her style- and that hair...
xo