17.12.09

trendspotted: ear muffs



For those of you in a cold or temperate climate, on the Northern Hemisphere, I've got a question: are ear muffs on trend this season? Because they're suddenly all the rage here in London. I'm curious if this is a local phenomenon.

I really want a pair now, because they're a) warm and b)not hats. I am so not a hat girl. I don't like the way I look in them, or the way they feel.. they kind of give me headaches. But the beauty of a muff is, it looks like you've got professional head phones on - so you can feel like you're a pop star in a recording studio - but also, they've got the 'Alice band' (translation: head band) effect. So it's two good looks in one.

There's the unfortunate connotation of the word.. you should have seen what came up when I googled it.. but still. I like it. Good trend, unfortunate word.

. . .

p.s. Eyeliah, of the eyeline, happened to refer to them as 'ear warmers', and she's in Canada which is part of the British Empire. So I'm gonna assume that since the Brits see the word muff as rude (which I don't think is the case in the states, is it? How about in other countries?) one can replace 'muff' with 'warmer'. Something we should consider if we're going to take on this trend. Which looks pretty likely. It's already spread to Madrid (altho, not yet Boston strangely, according to the Trendy Dwarf - except on untrendy people) so who knows, the muff/warmer might find it's way to your town any day soon!

16 comments:

The Photodiarist said...

I was thinking about ear muffs yesterday. I need to find a pair!

Amanda said...

That's so funny, I noticed a few pairs the other day. I think earmuffs can be cute...I really like the gray ones here.

Leah said...

Please don't ask me...I wish I can wear them but I'll be the laughingstock of the Tropics. Hahaha!

jill said...

Yeah, Leah, I was going to name you by name: this post is not for you, LEAH, nor STEPHANIE of STYLE ODYSSEY in the VIRGIN ISLANDS. ; )

Actually, wouldn't it be cool if you started sporting that trend... just because.

StyleSpy said...

I find them a bit too... girlish for everyday wear, but I am looking for a good pair to wear while I'm running.

The Fashion Cloud said...

Can be cute but the thing to master is how to wear them and not feel/look stupid in them. :)

xx
FashionCloud

www.thefashioncloud.com

Eyeliah said...

I keep seeing this girl in hello kitty ear warmers! But it's when I am on a city bus or I would be taking her picture. :)

Maria Tavares said...

Gorgeous hair!! Love it!

Unknown said...

i love ear muffs too. i hate how hats mess my hair when i take it off.

http://herarmoire.blogspot.com

jill said...

Wow, that's so far a pretty majority vote in favour of the ear muff. Interesting.

Eyeliah, are you back in town? Are 'ear warmers' the British version of muffs? Possibly because it's only a rude word here, like pants. If you keep seeing the same girl in hello kitty ear 'warmers' - why not ask her? I'm sure she'd be thrilled to have her picture taken.

They are a bit.. girlish. But I've got my eye out now for a pair.

Unknown said...

Here in Boston, the very few people that actually do wear ear muffs, they tend not to look as good as this lady does. I mean, when you wear and can actually find a place that sells ear muffs this chic...who would not want to wear them? In Boston, people mostly wear the sporty type of ears muffs. The ones were the strap goes around the back of your head and there is no design at all. Unless of course they have purchased Nike or Adidas brand ear muffs, in which case they would carry the logo on them. I haven't seen a person wear ear muffs on the longest time though. When you asked who wore ear muffs, all I could think about were news reporters who occasionally wear them when they are outside at a crime scene. Although, now giving it some thought, how cool could it be to have(if you have) ear buds on and listening to music with ear muffs on top?! I am guessing it would almost be the same as having those $100 noise-cancelling headphones! That's just me thinking. I like this topic. Check out my new post which has to do with a new trend! It's called..."Does "Jerkin" Ring A Bell?..."
check out my trendy blog!
http://thetrendydwarf.blogspot.com/

Ana Frost said...

I asked my self the same question :-) are ear muffs on trend this season (?) Because I was surprised, I already saw few here, but to Madri is so unsually I guess. Maybe is just because of the cold or temperate climate this year.

Susan said...

too cute :))
xoxo

jill said...

Wow, Ana, that's interesting that they're even cropping up in Madrid. So the trend's traveling..

Trendy Dwarf, you just make me laugh and laugh!! Now I'm so curious about your Jerkin post ; )

Eyeliah said...

no no not always warmers, also called ear muffs. Even in a post I did here I called them 'muufs' http://stylesymmetry.com/2008/12/22/you-cant-always-get-what-you-want/
I don't know why I said warmers that day, lol! :)

Eyeliah said...

oh, as I said in my first comment, I see her from the bus (I am in the bus and she is on the street) at that point in my day. If I got off the bus, I would be late. :-)