12.12.09

bobby



It wasn't just the stories of the clothes at the recent auction of Audrey Hepburn's wardrobe that fascinated me: each person I met had an interesting story, a connection, a reason they showed up that morning. Two people, male and female, flew in from Ireland for the day just for the exhibit (& didn't know each other). And I've just received the most beautifully written letter from Alex, who works for Kerry Taylor (which I'll post soon). AND from the woman from Ireland: fascinating story.



Or Bobby, shown here, who works nearby for the British Council (he's also in a band) and just felt drawn to the exhibition. It was kind of like Close Encounters of the Third Kind: all of us, seemingly so different, yet we felt compelled to show up.



He told me that his girlfriend, Imogen, love sixties style, and she & sells vintage sixties clothes. He then pointed to this dress and said 'she has a dress just like this one, in fact.'



Then later that day, he sent me this shot, which I remember seeing posted on a blog. I knew he looked familiar. Can't wait to meet Imogen & do a little shoot with the two of them.



I didn't realise we could ask to inspect the clothes, in this case, the Givenchy haute couture herring-bone tweed jacket, worn in 'How to Steal a Million', 1966.



Okay, that's probably enough Audrey style for one day. Well, just one more: A Givenchy 'haute couture silver and white brocatelle evening coat and bodice, probably Autumn-Winter 1966'. No story for this one, apart from Audrey's own memories. We'll just have to use our imagination.

6 comments:

Pearl Westwood said...

What a fab exhibition, would love to find time to get down to London to see it! I love this post Jill its so facinating all the people you met. Reminds me of when I went to see the Westwood exhibit, as we were all there for the same reason everyone was so excited and chatting away! x

Leah said...

That is fabulous... you were able to inspect the dresses up close.

Bobby and Imogen are such a cute couple.

adrielleroyale said...

Isn't amazing how beautiful women can be when so covered up? Imogen reminds me of how much a face can exude beauty without the help of all the other female parts front and center. ;)

Auburn Not Red said...

It's amazing how one woman can bring so many different people together. I'm not sure anyone could do that anymore.

Susan said...

wow, they have style!
xoxo

-h said...

o wow, id love to see this.