18.10.09

en trenched



Further to the other day's post ('in the trenches: the warhol effect'), I'm finding myself - and, apparently others on the street - looking at the classic trench coat in a new way. Weather is immaterial. This is the opposite of the 'underwear as outerwear' thing, this is outerwear - RAIN GEAR, in fact - as indoor wear. As, essentially, this year's Little Black Dress.

And, like any good Little Black Dress, it can work as a base for countless different looks. You can dress it up, you can dress it down. And, unlike the LBD, fashion forward boys can wear it, too.

I love how this guy's got a slight James McAvoy look going, and has accessorised his trench with white tee, gold necklace AND the ultimate status item: a LFW red ribbon pass. And he manages to pull it off with total masculine attitude.



Or, in this case, it's great worn simply, with little red flat pumps and bare legs.. just perfect. And not a drop of rain in sight.

9 comments:

The Photodiarist said...

I love trenches. I have a number of them! I agree that one doesn't need rain in order to wear them. I wear mine all of the time once the weather gets a little nippier . . . plan to wear one today (but today, it is actually raining in New York) . . .

Cafe Fashionista said...

Loving his style; but even more I love the last picture with the trench and little red ballet flats with bare legs. There's something so innocent and naive about the pose of the second photograph that reminds me of Eloise at the Plaza - very childlike and whimsical! :)

sofiasophie said...

always trendy and edgy with a trench!

Mom Fashion World said...

it's nice to see men with a good fashion style like him.
he pulled it off so well and love the smirk on his face.lol!

thanks for sharing, jill. it's time for me to pull out my trench too.

Duck said...

"the ultimate status item: a LFW red ribbon pass" - I think not! Most of us shove the hideous item into our bags as soon as it is handed to us, and only bring it out when forced to, which, now that LFW has moved to Somerset House, is really only to get into the Exhibition... And even at the Natural History Museum, you only needed an invite to see a show, not the barcode pass

StyleSpy said...

I walked away from a really great denim trench on sale yesterday and now it's haunting me. Dangit, J!!!


http://closetaltar.blogspot.com

dot said...

Anastasia: I was being ironic. Or, ironically, I thought I was. I didn't wear the silly thing, in fact you'll notice in my shot, I realised I could wear them as bracelets instead.

But Anastasia has a good point, which I've been telling a lot of my friends: ANYONE can go to Somerset House & hang out, take photos, etc. One only needs those passes as she's said for the Exhibition, and the shows are a separate (invite) thing anyway. Come this spring, anyone in the London area: just show up!!

And again, thank you all for sharing!! xoxo

Enia Is (Almost) Here said...

i have to admit, i take advantage of the supposed 'english summer' (read inevitable occurrence of rain) to wear my trench more often than i should. i ended up wearing it quite a bit this summer, on days when the rain just stopped, with my leather sandals and short summer dresses. or to sit on in the park with my observer on sundays.

an item of infinite promise :)

It's just a Monday said...

i love my trench. rain or shine :)