24.6.09

the end of my harem rant



Finally! I've been ranting about harem pants since April, and again in May. There are always trends that, judging by the spin, you'd expect to see on EVERYONE in the coming season (and never do) and this year I just KNEW it would be harem pants. I've been scouring the streets for a good example, so when I finally saw Rania on Marylebone High Street, I was so excited I ran up to her but forgot I had just stuffed a Paul's pastry in my mouth. So she basically had a total stranger come up to her, grab her arm, grunting and chewing and gesticulating to her legs.



She patiently waited for me to swallow & explain my situation. She was with her friend and genuinely couldn't understand why I'd want to shoot her that day, as she hadn't really dressed up, but was a good sport about it. She laughed and said I was going to post it saying 'what not to wear' but I promise: I'm over the rant. That's all it takes for me: one good look. (Actually, a 2nd: on gorgeous Jane, of seaofshoes, in Tokyo on 21st June). It doesn't mean I'm gonna run out and buy them, but I'm over it now. This was shot only a week or so ago, by the way, on a cool rainy Sunday, to give you an idea what wacky weather we're having here in London.

14 comments:

Kate said...

I knew you'd find someone! Good on you. They're both great looks.
Kate x

Sara Elizabeth said...

it's so nice to see a fellow london blogger! i just found your blog in seaofshoe's comments and i love it.

Anonymous said...

These harem pants are much nicer than the ones we had around years ago.

StyleSpy said...

HAH! Laughing really hard at that image of you rgunting through your pastry. HAH!

Stephanie Clayton said...

this is so funny! it's one reason i love your blog- there's an interesting story behind the photos, which you so generously share with the readers!
as for jane's on sea of shoes...aren't those tulip harem-looking pants insanely gorgeous! "biz" on lookbook.nu has a similar pair- she just posted a pic.
next shopping trip, i must get myself a pair of tulip pants!!

Unknown said...

The funniest story I have heard so far in this day! I love the pictures! Her scarf is to die for! The harem pants are really beautiful! Really beautiful pictures!
check out my fashion blog!
http://thetrendydwarf.blogspot.com/

Sidra L! said...

Ha! Dot I also have a very pic of my friend in Harem pants I've been meaing to forward the photo too you. But if you have a chance should check out my facebook!

TheSleekGeek said...

hahahha Jill, it's so funny!i can imagine how you running with your pastry in your mouth!!so funny!haha :D
xx
Jun

jill said...

Thanks guys! It gives me such joy to know I can make people smile.

My parents used to say 'we're not laughing at you, we're laughing WITH you', which was rich, considering I wasn't laughing at the time.

xoxo

joshylola said...

Love harem pants, scarf and sandals :-D

Brandon said...

Anything to get the shot, right?? I know I'm a little behind here, but thanks for making me smile, too! And I absolutely love her "not dressed up" look. We should all look so effortlessly put together and fashion-forward!

Thumbelina Fashionista said...

She looks great in this. I've come to realize that I like pajama-like harem pants, not the awful drop-crotch type. These look proportional and lovely.

Next challenge: seeing YOU in them... :)

jill said...

My blog-friend Nicky (lips of london) said her mom calls those drop-crotch versions 'nappy pants'.

Anonymous said...

Reema, sorry rania you look gorgeous in that harem pant and the scraf
love you